Petya Virus

Another Battle in the War of Cybersecurity

The Petya Virus is the newest cyber attack circling the globe and experts believe it to be even more dangerous than other recent threats. The Petya Virus first originated in Ukraine and was thought to be ransomware, but has been discovered to be something much worse. When the attack hits, a message appears on a user’s computer monitor stating that their data is being held until they pay a fee of about $300. In return the user receives a digital key that they are assured will unlock their data. However, unless the user has a recent backup of their data they are often forced to pay the price or lose their files.

This process describes a typical ransomware attack, but as mentioned before there is something different about the Petya Virus. Matt Suiche, founder of the cyber security firm Comae, analyzed the virus and came to the conclusion that the virus is a “wiper.” This means that Petya completely destroys the computer’s hard drive and a victim of the attack will not receive their data back even after electing to pay the fee.

There are speculations that the hackers behind the Petya Virus are not a group of cyber thieves looking to make money, but potentially a national state looking to cause harm on other states and nations. Over 60% of attacks occurred in the Ukraine, but the other 40% spread across the globe to the United States, Asia and other parts of Europe. Constant cyber attacks, especially one as destructive as Petya, are causing concern among nations across the world.

The rise in cyber attacks makes it even more imperative that users are constantly updating their tech systems with the latest software and security. To learn more about the importance of updates, read ABS’s recent blog, Protect Your Devices with Routine Updates

With security breaches on the rise, it is imperative for all companies to have a backup and recovery plan in place. Read more about disaster recovery and ways to protect your crucial data here, Back up and Disaster Recovery

We understand that ransomware and security can be a complicated topic, but we are here for you. If you have questions or concerns about the security of your IT, contact ABS. We can find the right solution for your needs.